It has been a busy week at home visiting with friends and family but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Since flying back to South Western Ontario, I’ve been jumping around from house to house, town to town and will be driving into Toronto a couple more times before the week is through.
Last weekend we celebrated Father’s Day surrounded by family, surprised Dan’s parents with him being home (they had no clue he flew back with me!!) and raced at the Toronto Triathlon Festival. Throughout the week I’ve been training, visiting, soaking up the sun, golfed with Dad and did a little shopping with Mom. I can’t believe it is already Thursday; only 2 more days to fit in a trip to Toronto, a few visits at home, 1 wedding and a final family dinner with Dan.
Lots to write about but little time!! I’ll post a re-cap of the Toronto Triathlon race next week but until then, enjoy the recipe below!
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Result: 1 yummy avocado loaf
- 2 large ripe avocados (or 3 small avocados)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup ground almonds
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Mixed seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Put the avocado, eggs and olive oil in a blender and blend until completely smooth. If you don’t have a blender handy, chop and crush the avocado in a large bowl, mixing in the eggs and olive oil with a fork, stir until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add in the avocado mix. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased pan and sprinkle the top with seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
This loaf is a nice change in pace for a different healthy snack. It is very light and savoury, and it couples well with a scrambled eggs breakfast or as snack on its own. A perfect summer loaf to have on the counter one week.
Bottom line: This snack is high in protein and healthy fats; no carbs and it’s gluten free.