This is my ‘go-to’ dinner after an evening workout.
You’ve just finished your workout and it’s now 8:30PM. You’re home by nine and you’re seriously starving. You’re tired so basically right after you eat, you’re planning to sleep. You’ll be craving a high cal meal but you don’t want to eat something too heavy right before bed… WHAT DO YOU DO?!
Bean stir fry to the rescue.
This recipe is high in protein and fibre. It is filling but doesn’t make you feel bloated or sluggish the next day. Oh, and did I mention how delicious it is?
Prep: 10 minutes
Simmer: 15 minutes
Result: 4 servings, bean stir fry
- 3 cans, rinsed and boiled beans
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Handful of spinach or 2 chopped baby bok choi
- 1 chopped peppers
- 1/4 cup pesto
Optional Meat Choices (Choose one):
- Small pork sausages
- Chicken breast
- In a medium size pot, bring water to a boil.
- Open 3 cans of beans – my favourite combo is 1 can butter bean, 1 can chick pea and 1 can cannellini. Pour into a strainer and rinse well. Once rinsed, pour into the pot of boiling water (leave for 5-10 minutes).
- While the beans boil, prepare the onions and garlic.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a large pan. Once hot, simmer the onions and garlic for 2 minutes
- Add the remaining vegetables to the pan and simmer
- Optional: separately prepare your meat of choice. Add to the pan of frying vegetables.
- Drain the beans and add to the stir fry
- Stir in pesto and let simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Let your stir fry cool for 2 minutes before serving.