I have always been mesmerized by the spiralizer, but never fully appreciated it until we invested in one last month.
I assumed that spiralizer’s would be easy to break, hard to use and difficult to keep clean. It was a nice surprise to learn the exact opposite.We have the Dexam Spiralizer – it’s easy to use, durable (I spiralized a raw sweet potato and it didn’t break) and easy to keep clean.
Some extra bonuses…
- Using a spiralizer is a great way to fit more vegetables in your diet… AND ENJOY IT.
- If you’re like me and end up bleeding after trying to peel something, it’s a much safer option
- Um, it’s extremely satisfying and takes little effort
- Nostalgic – warming memories of helping my Aunt make homemade relish come flooding back to me
Here is an easy to prepare and healthy Pesto Courgetti recipe (aka ‘courgette spaghetti’ or ‘zucchini noodles’).
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
INGREDIENTS (Per Person)
- 2-3 Courgette / Zucchini
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 10-15 baby tomatoes, chopped in half
- Few heaping spoonfuls of pesto
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Egg, soft boiled (optional)
- Handful of spinach (optional)
- Cut each end of the courgette and mount it on your Spiralizer firmly
- Spiralize the full length of each courgette (keep consistent pressure on against the blades to ensure long even noodles)
- Set the spiralized courgetti to the side and begin to prepare the other vegetables (garlic and tomatoes)
- Over to the stove, grab a large frying pan or wok
- On medium heat, pour the olive oil in the pan
- Add the crushed garlic and let simmer
- Add the spiralized courgette/ zucchini as well as the pesto to the pan
- Heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring often
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spinach to the mixture and heat for 1 more minute
- Drain excess fluids and serve immediately (adding a soft boiled egg on top for some extra protein)
Serves nicely as a side dish with seasoned salmon or chicken. Or add thin slices of cooked chicken to the mixture and serve as Chicken Pesto Courgetti!
Dan likes his courgetti a bit softer than I prefer so in the instance above I boiled the spiralized courgette for 2 minutes before heating it in a frying pan with pesto. It has a closer texture to pasta this way… Don’t worry Augello’s courgetti will never replace pasta 🙂